Greetings from Alma, Illinois

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
volantis

Greetings from Alma, Illinois

Post by volantis » 22 Aug 2021, 13:21

My interest for joining this group is to find an affordable detector for my old military scintillator. The scintillator was bought at a military auction 20 years ago, and was already an antique from the 1950s back then. The scintillator weighs about 700 pounds and has a very thick lead lining around a large milled aluminum chamber. The outer casing is heavy steel.

The original vacuum tube powered counter came with it, and I ran the scintillator nonstop for several years measuring the background gamma radiation. I recorded the information until the counter stopped working, which was about ten years ago.

I would like to find a high voltage bias and counter that I can connect to the scintillator and interface with my computer; and then post live data to one of my web pages. I have continually running PCs using Ubuntu and Windows on my network, and can use one of the machines to capture the data and post it. I would prefer that the software runs in Ubuntu.

My initial involvement on this group is to learn more about how gamma radiation detectors work and what equipment and software is available for connecting to my scintillator.

David Thomson