2024 Let the Experiments begin!

Hang up the labcoat, relax and chat about anything
Sesselmann

2024 Let the Experiments begin!

Post by Sesselmann » 19 Jan 2024, 14:18

A somewhat delayed Happy New Year to all.

The Christmas and January period must be when scientists like yourself spend time thinking 🤔, and coming up with all those crazy ideas 🧪, which could be why the forum has gone a bit quiet, but remember this forum is not only for radiation detection and gamma spectrometry, we are all scientists, so feel free to post something about any interesting topic.

How about the Chinese announcing a nuclear battery tyhat will last for 50 years ?

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-compone ... r-lifespan

Is it safe.... 50 Ci of Ni63, not something I want in my cellphone ☢️

Personally I have had my head down writing python code for Impulse. Coding can be extremely frustrating at times, occasionally one can get stuck on a problem for days, but I eventually find a solution and move on. This latest enhancement has taken way longer than I was hoping, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel and look forward to publish the code soon. The new features are all about collaboration, I won't say any more, but it's coming soon 👍

Impulse is getting quite a few downloads now and several users are contributing to the code via GitHub. For those of you not familiar with GitHub it is a platform where programmers anywhere in the world can collaborate on projects.

What are your plans in the field of science for 2024, let everyone know what you are working on and what you are hoping to achieve.

Take care and stay safe...

Steven

Svilen

Re: 2024 Let the Experiments begin!

Post by Svilen » 29 Jan 2024, 07:55

50Ci sounds scary, but they say the battery will withstand even a gunshot...I just imagine never needing to charge my cellphone and will rather accept this solution :D Bad that they still deliver only 0.0001 Watt.
Otherwise, most of my research so far is related to implantable devices for neural stimulation and signal recording, which is not a nuclear topic, but it can surely benefit from the betavoltaic power sources mentioned above, reducing the need to re-operate patients for battery replacement (which is now mostly achieved by wireless charging).
Svilen