How will COVID 19 affect the scientific community?

Hang up the labcoat, relax and chat about anything
Sesselmann

How will COVID 19 affect the scientific community?

Post by Sesselmann » 07 Apr 2020, 09:48

Hi all,

As the COVID-19 virus spreads around the world, we are seeing country by country shut down businesses, schools and Universities, this in turn leads to economic recessions and the need for governments to bail out businesses etc. Governments turn to QE or quantitive easing, basically printing money. What will this mean for scientists who rely on funding for their research?

What about the big research projects like ITER and LHC, who rely on international funding to keep going, how will they get the money when just about every country in the world is struggling with their own balance sheets?

Most Universities are currently closed, so I have already noticed a significant drop in the number of enquiries.

What are your thoughts on the situation, has your research been affected?

Steven

Svilen

Re: How will COVID 19 affect the scientific community?

Post by Svilen » 10 Apr 2020, 04:10

Since I work in an university hospital, my institution can not close and works even harder, in an emergency mode. But research is affected, including my own work. Everything that can be postponed is postponed, to decrease contact and infection spread.
My research also depends on third-party financing, but all the funds are provided till the end of the project (almost two years ahead). There just will be a significant delay.
I hope the situation gets better soon and we'll have more control over it.
Well, meanwhile we have an opportunity to reassess values. To see how many things we daily take for granted, can actually slip away so fast.

Stay safe everybody, wherever you are.
Svilen

Conor Whyte

Re: How will COVID 19 affect the scientific community?

Post by Conor Whyte » 25 Apr 2020, 16:26

I am a frontline worker working 2 jobs since CoVID-19 hit Canada. I am a tech expert assoc. with a local company that provides business solutions --moving businesses online as well as rehab training consultant. Lots of work right now.