Another Fukushima soil sample (with coincidences)

Share your spectra and discuss their features here
miree

Another Fukushima soil sample (with coincidences)

Post by miree » 05 May 2018, 04:05

Hello all,

Luuk sent me one of his Fukushima soil samples. It is very useful for me because before I didn't have a Cs-137 sample. I can use this to better specify the resolution of my detector-DAQ combination.

The following spectrum is from my new detector (also from Luuk):
soil_sample_spectrum.png
The resolution is below 6.1% ... and my calibration is a little bit wrong (the 661keV peak appears ~20keV too high)

Since the sample is not pure Cs-137, and Cs-137 has no coincident gammas, It is interesting to make coincidence measurements to better see what other isotopes are in the sample. I had a second detector in the setup, face-to-face with the first one, and the soil sample sandwiched in between. The coincident matrix looks like this:
Cs-134-coincidence-matrix.png
I added the tables with known coincidences from Cs-134 (from here http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/decaysear ... CS&unc=nds) and marked them in the picture (I might have forgotten some... there are lots of overlaps).

In the matrix, I can see two more coincidences that I couldn't find in the table for Cs-134. I have marked them in the following picture of the same matrix (with half the bin size to better see the weak spots). Does anybody know what other isotopes are typically in Fukushima soil sample that could cause these lines?
Cs-134-coincidence-matrix-rebinned.png
kind regards,
Michael
Michael Reese
Darmstadt Germany

luuk

Re: Another Fukushima soil sample (with coincidences)

Post by luuk » 05 May 2018, 05:46

Hi Michael,

Nice spectrum you made really good!
But you have to remember that the soil is ofcourse not just Cs_134/137 in the stones and sand there is also some natural Th228? and K40 in it.
I have different soil samples and all are a little different in natural background, your sample is a mix of 2 other samples so i is hard to tell how much of the natural energies are in it.
Luuk

Alain

Post by Alain » 09 Jul 2018, 08:42

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately I cannot see pictures anymore. Is it possible to re-post them or maybe send them via PM?

Thanks,
Alain
Regards,
Alain

miree

Post by miree » 15 Aug 2018, 04:40

Hi Alain,

I don't know what happened to the pictures, I'll try to re-post them. And I was affected by the forum login issue and couldn't do it earlier.

Michael
Michael Reese
Darmstadt Germany

miree

Post by miree » 15 Aug 2018, 04:44

Ah! I can post again :)
Cs-134-coincidence-matrix.png
Michael
Michael Reese
Darmstadt Germany

miree

Post by miree » 15 Aug 2018, 04:45

Cs-134-coincidence-matrix-rebinned.png
Michael Reese
Darmstadt Germany