Trinitite spectrum

Share your spectra and discuss their features here
Svilen

Trinitite spectrum

Post by Svilen » 13 Jul 2018, 04:07

This is what I got with my setup ( http://www.gammaspectacular.com/phpBB3/ ... f=16&t=411 ) from a trinitite sample.

8h with PRA:
1.png
1.png (32.24 KiB) Viewed 255 times
and 6h with Theremino (equlizers only are used, but not on the sample, during callibration with Lu, Ra, Cs and K:
2.png
2.png (80.38 KiB) Viewed 255 times
Should I expect more from this detector? How do you find this results?
Do you see something I didn't or more likely maybe something I saw is not really there? :)
Last edited by Svilen on 13 Sep 2019, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
Svilen

pilgrim

Re: Trinitite spectrum

Post by pilgrim » 13 Jul 2018, 05:32

I see a very good linearity!
Beautiful spectrum! I think your setup works very well, especially considering the low activity of trinitite.
Daniel, Italy

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 13 Jul 2018, 13:00

Svilen,

I agree with Daniel, your spectrum looks good, and you are getting a good correlation between PRA and Theremino. When you make long recordings like this you just have to make sure the room has a stable temperature, otherwise you may see a bit of drift. The drift can be reduced by using a GS-PRO, but not completely eliminated, as the detector drifts as well.

You could try the drift stabilisation feature in Becqmoni it might tighten up the resolution a bit.
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | beejewel.com.au |

Svilen

Post by Svilen » 13 Jul 2018, 17:25

Hi Steven and Daniel,
Thank you for your replies. I get roughly around 1-2Kev/degree shift even if the day is colder/warmer than the calibration day. Something like this happens definitely during the recording too. Yesterday I even wanted to ask how you maintain constant temperature? Maybe I can put the GS and the sound card in a temperature controlled box, but for the detector will be harder. Can one heat the castle somehow? I had somewhere a temperature controller with a heating pad with fine precise regulation for animals, but then I guess it would be a constant electromagnetic interference source wrapped around the castle also. Any ideas?
A 3x3" Detector and a GS pro is what I plan to upgrade to, but unfortunately at the moment it wouldn't be easily affordable.
BeqMoni is something I want to definitely try. A problem is the lack of documentation in English and I have to guess the things myself, but will do it. Karl Brehwens here wrote something short about it, will check if that helps.
Svilen

cicastol

Post by cicastol » 14 Jul 2018, 21:31

Svilen wrote: Should I expect more from this detector? How do you find this results?
Nice spectrum, imho you could improve a lot the lower end spectra by using a bigger lead castle with more room inside the chamber for lowering backscatter.
Ciro

Peter-1

Post by Peter-1 » 15 Jul 2018, 02:00

Hello,

here is my spectrum from 2017 with 4 gram of this glass.
2017_Trinitit.jpg
Peter

pilgrim

Post by pilgrim » 15 Jul 2018, 02:25

Hi guys, could you suggest me a reliable seller for a trinitite sample?
Daniel, Italy

Svilen

Post by Svilen » 15 Jul 2018, 06:03

Hi Peter,
Nice spectrum! Thanks. I have really, as Ciro mentioned above, a lot of background in the lower energy range. Thanks for your remarks, Ciro. Yes, more lead is always better of course, but I really didn't think to leave some more space around the detector the time I planned the shielding..

Daniel, I sent you a PM ;)
Svilen

nayam

Post by nayam » 28 Aug 2019, 18:03

Informational thread! I hope it will help me in my thesis.