Compton Experiment

Share your spectra and discuss their features here
Steven Sesselmann

Compton Experiment

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 11 Jan 2019, 22:39

Hi All,

With a bit of time on my hands I set up a cool compton experiment today.

I used two of my new GS-USB-PRO spectrometers and two detectors in coincidence mode, the primary (scattering) detector was a 1" plastic scintillator and the secondary detector was my 2" Luuk CsI(Tl) detector.

Side Note: If you are using two of the GS-USB-PRO simultaneously they both show up in the sound panel with the same name, so it's a good idea to connect one first and select it in PRA before connecting the second one.

So I followed the standard PRA procedure and did the pulse shape acquisition (Left and Right Channels together) then did the energy calibration with my Cs137 source.

I then obtained coincidence spectra at various angles and recorded the observed peak.My Cs137 source is rather weak for this purpose, so each spectrum took some time, but it was enough to see the peak.

I was pleased to see that the peaks coincided with the theoretical formula.
compton.png
Compton Equation
compton.png (4.61 KiB) Viewed 380 times
Where Eγ' is the scattered photon and Eγ is the Cs137 photon at 662keV and Ee is the electron mass 511keV and θ is the angle in radians.

Compton Scatter.png
Compton Experiment Setup
Compton Scatter.png (37.09 KiB) Viewed 371 times

This is a pretty standard experiment carried out by physics undergraduates, but this is the first time I have done it, and I am pleased to see how it worked.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |