SiPM and questions

Scintillation crystals, PMTs, voltage dividers etc...
stamasd

SiPM and questions

Post by stamasd » 06 Feb 2019, 11:06

After much procrastination and penny-counting I made the plunge and ordered a SiPM. This is helped by the recent acquisition of SensL by OnSemi. I have had a business account with On for some time and while that doesn't make it cheaper it did make it easier to procure.

First question is a practical one for Luuk and anyone else who has played with a SiPM before. Out of the box the photosensitive area is covered with a square of thin transparent plastic. Does that plastic stays on and the crystal is coupled to it, or does it need to be removed before the crystal is applied? It's not mentioned in any of the documentation.

I forgot the mention which SiPM I got. It's a C series, 6x6mm 60035. I plan to try a LYSO crystal with it, 5x5x20mm.

lodovico

Re: SiPM and questions

Post by lodovico » 06 Feb 2019, 23:51

Hi,
do not remove any plastic from the SiPM, it should be epoxy resin and its function is to protect the chip.
Lodovico

stamasd

Post by stamasd » 07 Feb 2019, 05:52

I thought so, but this doesn't look like epoxy. It's a square of plastic sheet, looks like mylar or something similar. It's bigger that the chip itself with an overhang of about 2mm on each side. I have not tried to remove it so I don't know if it's glued on or not. So the crystal should be mounted on top of this sheet, correct?

lodovico

Post by lodovico » 08 Feb 2019, 00:09

I Think so, post a picture, just to be sure.
L

luuk

Post by luuk » 08 Feb 2019, 01:39

Hi Silviu,

On the SiPm is a thin “plastic” layer(square plate) it is about 0.2mm thick, this is the entrance window.
You have to be carefully with it, it can comes loose from the SiPm if that happens the SiPm is useless.
Don’t try to peal it off and try not to put to much force on it when you apply a crystal. It is the weakest part of the SiPm, under it is the bare silicon layer that is extreme fragile.
If damaged you will see that the used current will be bigger and noise will be much more then before but you can still use it if the current(noise) is not extreme high.
Also be carefully with the edges (corners) of the SiPm small damages can course leaking currend that will give extra noise.

Luuk

stamasd

Post by stamasd » 08 Feb 2019, 06:14

Thanks I wanted to be sure. I'll be very careful with it, probably wrap it in something cushioning over the teflon tape. Make a little burrito out of it. :)