Hello from UK

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
drkhelliott@gmail.com

Hello from UK

Post by drkhelliott@gmail.com » 19 Feb 2020, 01:25

Retired Senior Lecturer in the School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Birmingham, UK
Previously an Astronomer at the Anglo-Australian Observatory, NSW, Australia.

Live in the Peak District of Derbyshire, UK and interested in gamma ray detectors and gamma ray spectroscopy.

I have used a Pocket Geiger solid state detector used on Iphone and Ipad for years.

www.radiation-watch.co.uk

I found some surplus EMI Photomultiplier tubes and with a NaI scintillator from Ebay (Ukraine) built a Gamma Ray Spectrometer using Theremino Power supply and Theremino USB interface.

The home built head worked ok, but had poor resolution so I bought a refurbished Scionix 38B57 from iRad.

I then designed and built some electronics to use the old detector just as a detector with audio clicks and rate meter on an analog meter.

I've bought a Cs137 source from Ebay CK1098-1 Valve Tube, Spark Gap, Raytheon also a Co60 source from Spectrum Techniques in USA (Oak Ridge)

The Scionix 38B57 from iRad works well but at a voltage which gives the best resolution of about 6% seems to be quite non linear. I've done a calibration using various sources and wrote some code to linearise the data.

Be nice to get it to be linear in the first place so I'm probably going to buy a GS-USB-PRO.

I had a PET scan and recorded the 511 keV line. Also a MUGA scan which used Technetium-99m
and recorded the 140keV line from that.
Dr Ken Elliott
School of Physics and Astronomy
University of Birmingham
UK

Svilen

Re: Hello from UK

Post by Svilen » 19 Feb 2020, 01:57

Welcome to the forum Dr. Elliott and thank you for your detailed introduction.
I moved your post to the "Introductions" forum.
Svilen

drkhelliott@gmail.com

Post by drkhelliott@gmail.com » 19 Feb 2020, 02:48

Thanks a lot
Ken
Dr Ken Elliott
School of Physics and Astronomy
University of Birmingham
UK

Sesselmann

Post by Sesselmann » 19 Feb 2020, 09:52

Hello Ken,

Welcome to the forum, I have a keen interest in both physics and cosmology, I also live in Australia, so a few things in common there without even touching on radiation detection.

Great to have you on board.

Steven